Sewing Scissors, Mundial Scissors, Famore Scissors, Quilting Scissors
4 Pairs Of Scissors Any Craftsperson Needs To Own
They might not make any noise, require any batteries, or be the most exciting tool in your sewing kit, but your scissors are probably the most essential piece of sewing equipment you can own. At SewMasters, we stock a range of high-quality fabric scissors, embroidery scissors, and a variety of cutters for various purposes. We’re here to tell you about the four pairs of scissors that any sewing hobbyist or professional simply must own.
Every craftsperson, sewist, and tailor needs a high-quality, reliable, sharp pair of fabric scissors. However, if you’re a professional, you may find you need a range of fabric scissors for various jobs.
- Dressmaker shears. If you’re only thinking of buying one pair of fabric scissors, invest in some quality dressmaker shears. These scissors will cut most fabrics with ease, and their hold prevents the material from slipping between the blades. Make sure you keep them sheathed when not in use, so they stay sharp and ready to use. If you’re looking for a reliable brand, the SewMasters team suggest Gingher scissors.
- Tailor’s scissors. Shorter than dressmaker shears, tailor’s scissors are better for cutting thicker materials like leather and velvet. They’re also a better choice for quilters.
- Pinking shears. If you’re working with oilcloth or laminate fabrics, pinking shears are your best choice. They’ll prevent your materials from fraying. If you don’t have an overlocker, get yourself a pair of pinking shears to finish seams neatly.
- All-purpose scissors. While they’re not great as fabric scissors, all-purpose scissors are perfect for cutting patterns.
There are a few reasons why a pair of delicate embroidery scissors are an essential part of any sewing kit. If you’re looking for a new pair, check out the Famore scissor range from SewMasters.
- Perfect for more delicate needlework. Embroidery scissors will keep your work neat by cutting threads cleanly with a single snip.
- Easy to transport. If you need to take your project with you, a pair of embroidery scissors fit easily into your luggage, so you can use them as needed.
- Use them for finer details. Embroidery scissors are ideal for clean cuts in tight spaces. Their smaller size allows you to get closer to your work to manipulate easily and control your cuts. These Mundial scissors are ideal for precision cutting and fine embroidery.
When you need to cut fabric quickly and accurately, a rotary cutter will be your best friend. Ensure you also invest in a rotary mat, so you don’t damage surfaces and don’t blunt or damage the blade. If you need a rotary cutter, the SewMasters team suggest Olfa rotary cutters for their durability and versatility.
- Great for thicker materials. Most quilters will have a rotary cutter close to hand, as they’re fantastic for cutting cleanly through layers of fabric.
- They work better with crisp materials. If you have a smooth, slippery fabric, we’d suggest spraying the material with starch to make it stiffer and easier to cut.
- Check your blade before you use it. A chipped or blunt rotary cutter can damage the fabric with snags or rips, so make sure you look over the edge before cutting.
Okay, so the Brother ScanNCut isn’t technically fabric scissors, but it’s still a handy tool to have in your sewing kit. If you’re looking for a Brother ScanNCut, you can order one from SewMasters online store.
- Create unique projects and designs. You can either upload your original designs or use the device’s built-in designs to cut precise shapes and images into your project.
- Create stickers or heat transfers. Using the Brother ScanNCut, you can create designs to apply to your sewing projects later, such as vinyl stickers or acrylic heat transfers. There’s no limit to how creative you can be.
When You Need Fabric Scissors, Head To SewMasters
When it comes to sewing machines, no one knows them better than the team at SewMasters. Whether you’re sewing commercially or you do it as a hobby, we’re here to help our customers achieve better results from their work and achieve their sewing goals through the right machines and accessories. SewMasters are proud to stock some of the world’s leading brands in quilting machines, overlockers, coverstitch machines, embroidery machines, and sewing machines, all of which are renowned for their reliability, quality, and durability. Whether you’re buying a new machine or you’re looking for a repairperson you can trust, SewMasters are here to help. Check out our range of fabric scissors online today!